I’ve been busy

logo

I haven’t posted for a while so I thought I’d put finger to keyboard to show some of what I’ve been up to these last few weeks.

Last year I started a job as a part-time upholsterer, and I wanted to put my stamp on my working area, in the form of a few tools and toolboxes. Also, I have recently design myself a new logo, and I was desperate to showcase it on something.

So, in between work and family life, I’ve put in a few hours in the workshop recently, in order to address both these issues. This is what I came up with. Continue reading “I’ve been busy”

Advertisements

First project of the year.

20161229_135907

Nearly a year ago, not long after I had my lathe set up, I was looking around for a turning project, and I stumbled across some plans for a candlestick telephone. At the time, the project was far beyond my capabilities, so I only got as far as picking out the timber before shelving the idea until I had more practice under my belt. Continue reading “First project of the year.”

Tool Tote #1: The tool box

20161112_162034

Following on from the last project, yet another commission came my way from the self-same chap who commissioned the Biltong Slicer, the Treasure Chest, and the Jewelry Box. This time it was a gift for his son and my remit was virtually non-existent – carte blanche you might say. In the end I settled upon a tool tote, because I know that the lad enjoys dirt bike racing, and would need a stout receptacle in which to store spanners and sockets and pliers and such. Continue reading “Tool Tote #1: The tool box”

Jewelry Box #3: Finishing touches

20161028_212342

To finish things up with the jewelry box, I fitted the hinges and put my maker’s mark on the base so that I could apply the finish to the outside of the box. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #3: Finishing touches”

Workbench #9: Le Bébé Roubo

img_20160921_180803

It’s time to sign off on another project at Goatboy’s Woodshop – I declare the workbench finished!

This, the final post in this series, will be a bit picture heavy because there’s not really much else to say. Continue reading “Workbench #9: Le Bébé Roubo”

Workbench #7: Leg vice

20160814_121338

We’re cooking on gas now! The final component for the bench was the leg vice, and in an earlier post I showed how I had cut the threads for the screw and nut so that I could install the nut in the leg. Well, as well as a screw, the vice needed a chop and a hub… Continue reading “Workbench #7: Leg vice”

Workbench #6: Project shelved

20160802_162449

Hello fellows. I’ve been away for a couple of weeks, touring around France with the family, but I’m back now and ready to continue with the saga of the workbench build. When I last posted, I had got to the point in the story where the bench itself was basically finished, but not particularly functional. The next step was to add a shelf under the bench to store tools etc. during a project. Continue reading “Workbench #6: Project shelved”

Workbench #4: Rage quit (almost)

rageI feel at the outset of this post that I ought to offer up some apologies. Firstly, I must apologise to anyone who happened to be in the vicinity of my workshop around the time that this post covers. Secondly, to you dear reader, I apologise because I didn’t take any photographs of the glueing up, for reasons that will become clear.

Continue reading “Workbench #4: Rage quit (almost)”

Workbench #3: Getting there

20160721_143912

The last part of the main construction was the four stretchers. I marked out for the mortise and tenons by clamping the stock to the leg and running a knife down to mark the shoulders.

Continue reading “Workbench #3: Getting there”

Boat Bookcase #1: Full steam ahead!

A few weeks ago, I received a commission to build a small bookcase in the shape of a boat. Knowing that this would involve steam bending, which I have never done before, I made no promises, save that I would give it a try. I made a start last week.  Continue reading “Boat Bookcase #1: Full steam ahead!”