I haven’t posted for a while so I thought I’d put finger to keyboard to show some of what I’ve been up to these last few weeks.
Last year I started a job as a part-time upholsterer, and I wanted to put my stamp on my working area, in the form of a few tools and toolboxes. Also, I have recently design myself a new logo, and I was desperate to showcase it on something.
So, in between work and family life, I’ve put in a few hours in the workshop recently, in order to address both these issues. This is what I came up with. Continue reading “I’ve been busy”
As I mentioned in my last post, the dry fit of the toolbox seemed to be missing something. Eventually, I decided that it needed a lift-out tray. Just a small one, not one that went the entire length of the box, but a little one that could slide back and forth on runners so that items could be retrieved from the box even with the tray in place. Continue reading “Tool Tote #2: A tote within a tote”
To finish things up with the jewelry box, I fitted the hinges and put my maker’s mark on the base so that I could apply the finish to the outside of the box. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #3: Finishing touches”
An empty box is as boring as batsh*t, so the next stage of this project was to make and install some dividers to break up the inside of the box. This meant planing down some thin maple panels, cutting notches in them so that they lock together in a criss-cross formation, and then cutting some housing dados in the side of the box. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #2: Tarting up”