First project of the year.

20161229_135907

Nearly a year ago, not long after I had my lathe set up, I was looking around for a turning project, and I stumbled across some plans for a candlestick telephone. At the time, the project was far beyond my capabilities, so I only got as far as picking out the timber before shelving the idea until I had more practice under my belt. Continue reading “First project of the year.”

Advertisements

Tool Tote #3: The big finish

20161204_234620

The glue up for this project was a long drawn out process. I had to break out all my clamps, even the homemade ones. The first glue up was the main tool box and the tray. Continue reading “Tool Tote #3: The big finish”

Tool Tote #2: A tote within a tote

20161125_162520

As I mentioned in my last post, the dry fit of the toolbox seemed to be missing something. Eventually, I decided that it needed a lift-out tray. Just a small one, not one that went the entire length of the box, but a little one that could slide back and forth on runners so that items could be retrieved from the box even with the tray in place.  Continue reading “Tool Tote #2: A tote within a tote”

Tool Tote #1: The tool box

20161112_162034

Following on from the last project, yet another commission came my way from the self-same chap who commissioned the Biltong Slicer, the Treasure Chest, and the Jewelry Box. This time it was a gift for his son and my remit was virtually non-existent – carte blanche you might say. In the end I settled upon a tool tote, because I know that the lad enjoys dirt bike racing, and would need a stout receptacle in which to store spanners and sockets and pliers and such. Continue reading “Tool Tote #1: The tool box”

Jewelry Box #2: Tarting up

20161009_215704

An empty box is as boring as batsh*t, so the next stage of this project was to make and install some dividers to break up the inside of the box. This meant planing down some thin maple panels, cutting notches in them so that they lock together in a criss-cross formation, and then cutting some housing dados in the side of the box. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #2: Tarting up”

Jewelry Box #1: Inlaid dovetails

20160916_154730

It has been a long old while since I have posted on this blog. Up until a few weeks ago, I had oodles of time in the workshop because I only worked in the evenings. Shortly after I finished my workbench however, I took on a new job during the day. This has meant that my workshop time has been drastically reduced. I’ve still managed to put in some hours here and there, so I thought I’d fire off a series of posts over the next few days, to show off a project that I have recently completed. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #1: Inlaid dovetails”

Workbench #9: Le Bébé Roubo

img_20160921_180803

It’s time to sign off on another project at Goatboy’s Woodshop – I declare the workbench finished!

This, the final post in this series, will be a bit picture heavy because there’s not really much else to say. Continue reading “Workbench #9: Le Bébé Roubo”

Workbench #8: Leg vice part deux

20160828_155044

Whilst I was on holiday in France we stayed near a little village called Le Bugue, and nearby is an excellent little theme park called Le Bournat. The theme is early 20th Century and it is basically a reconstructed village circa 1900; with a school, farm, fairground, bakery, windmill, saw mill, restaurant, tannery, forge, apothecary and so on. Continue reading “Workbench #8: Leg vice part deux”

Workbench #6: Project shelved

20160802_162449

Hello fellows. I’ve been away for a couple of weeks, touring around France with the family, but I’m back now and ready to continue with the saga of the workbench build. When I last posted, I had got to the point in the story where the bench itself was basically finished, but not particularly functional. The next step was to add a shelf under the bench to store tools etc. during a project. Continue reading “Workbench #6: Project shelved”

Workbench #4: Rage quit (almost)

rageI feel at the outset of this post that I ought to offer up some apologies. Firstly, I must apologise to anyone who happened to be in the vicinity of my workshop around the time that this post covers. Secondly, to you dear reader, I apologise because I didn’t take any photographs of the glueing up, for reasons that will become clear.

Continue reading “Workbench #4: Rage quit (almost)”