Jewelry Box #3: Finishing touches

20161028_212342

To finish things up with the jewelry box, I fitted the hinges and put my maker’s mark on the base so that I could apply the finish to the outside of the box. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #3: Finishing touches”

Advertisements

Jewelry Box #2: Tarting up

20161009_215704

An empty box is as boring as batsh*t, so the next stage of this project was to make and install some dividers to break up the inside of the box. This meant planing down some thin maple panels, cutting notches in them so that they lock together in a criss-cross formation, and then cutting some housing dados in the side of the box. Continue reading “Jewelry Box #2: Tarting up”

Workbench #8: Leg vice part deux

20160828_155044

Whilst I was on holiday in France we stayed near a little village called Le Bugue, and nearby is an excellent little theme park called Le Bournat. The theme is early 20th Century and it is basically a reconstructed village circa 1900; with a school, farm, fairground, bakery, windmill, saw mill, restaurant, tannery, forge, apothecary and so on. Continue reading “Workbench #8: Leg vice part deux”

Workbench #6: Project shelved

20160802_162449

Hello fellows. I’ve been away for a couple of weeks, touring around France with the family, but I’m back now and ready to continue with the saga of the workbench build. When I last posted, I had got to the point in the story where the bench itself was basically finished, but not particularly functional. The next step was to add a shelf under the bench to store tools etc. during a project. Continue reading “Workbench #6: Project shelved”

Workbench #5: Goatboy’s kitchen

20160515_214035

This is a bit of a sidetrack from the Workbench Project but fret not; it will bring us back on topic before this post is done. Continue reading “Workbench #5: Goatboy’s kitchen”

The Funeral Chair Part Two – Finish and Glue Up

20150731_154022

20150731_154041With all the parts now essentially completed it was time to sand them down ready for pre-finishing. On a project like this it is far easier to finish the components before final assembly. The finish I used for this project was a homemade oil/varnish concoction. Taking advice from various online sources I mixed boiled linseed oil, polyurethane varnish and white spirit (mineral spirits in the US) in equal parts.  Continue reading “The Funeral Chair Part Two – Finish and Glue Up”

Final finish – Dovetail box #5

20150324_155434     20150324_155423

Well here it is, the finished article.

Continue reading “Final finish – Dovetail box #5”