Workbench #0: Back story

download

Many moons ago I visited a local school that was in the process of being demolished and rebuilt. A friend of mine was the property manager and he allowed me on site to remove some old fire doors that I wanted to make some compost bins. While I was there I spotted an old woodworking bench in the reception area and I asked what was going to happen to it. My friend said that the workshop equipment that was not going to be re-used was being sold off and that this bench was the last one. When I expressed an interest, he made a couple of phone calls on my behalf, but it as turned out it was spoken for. Continue reading “Workbench #0: Back story”

Advertisements

Treasure Chest #3 – “Treasure”

20160622_151143

The key thing with this project was assembling it in the right order. The bottoms of the  two main compartments, as well as the bottoms of the two recesses in the central block, were to be lined with baize. Therefore, the interior of the box needed to be finished before the baize went in because I didn’t want to get shellac or wax all over it. Also, I needed to finish the interior, before the base went on because if any wax got onto the base, the baize wouldn’t stick to it.  Continue reading “Treasure Chest #3 – “Treasure””

Treasure Chest #2 – The lid

20160614_210248

I lost count of the number of YouTube videos I watched whilst preparing to make the curved lid for this box. All of them showed the slats being edge mitred to an angle specific to the size of the box and the number of slats, but a lot of them were then just nailed to semicircular ‘gables’. This is fine for a rustic tool box but because the slats are flat there are gaps between them and gables that would look dreadful on a more refined piece. I decided that I needed to go the extra mile and make flats on the gables for the slats to sit on. Continue reading “Treasure Chest #2 – The lid”

Treasure Chest #1 – Stock prep and joinery

20160611_155447

Whilst I was in the middle of the boat project, a friend approached me about commissioned a piece for his daughter’s birthday. The project had to wait a while because the deadline for the boat was looming, and I had a couple of other bits and pieces to finish up for a crafts fair, but as soon as I could I got started and that is what I have been doing for the last couple of weeks (as well as painting the house and cutting all the roadside hedges!) Continue reading “Treasure Chest #1 – Stock prep and joinery”